Skip to main content

Hot Spots

May highlights from First Thursday’s art walk: The work of John Dempcy was featured last month at the Grover Thurston Gallery but you can still see some of his mesmerizing spot paintings on the upper level of the gallery.


This image and the one above, John Dempcy, Acrylic on panel.


This piece by Kenna Moser is from Recollection: Solo show at Grover Thurston.

On the main floor of Grover Thurston are the charming works of Kenna Moser in her show titled, Recollection. Her delightful mixed media works are small in scale and her imagery congers up enchanted stories of a Lilliputian universe…on display May 5 – 28.


Darren Waterston, oil on canvas at  Greg Kucera.

At Greg Kucera the work of Darren Waterston is featured in a solo show titled, Kingdom. This exhibition features oil paintings, small gouache works on paper and some intriguing sculptural pieces. I am drawn to the intuitive painting style of Waterston's work. I find his art a bit dark but strangely appealing. Show runs April 7 – May 28.

 

One of three similar paper works by Justin Lytle at Catherine Person
Finally… I had to pop into the Catherine Person Gallery for the farewell exhibition: It’s All Good: A paper Survey, featuring works done on and with paper as the primary medium. The standouts for me were three pieces done by Justin Lytle where the shredded pages of books spill out from their covers and cascade down into a skirt-like form that has been beautifully washed in color.


I was also captivated by this delicate paper sphere piece by Teresa Redden. This is only 2.5 inches in diameter. There are some other shows worth seeing that I did not include in this post so I encourage you to get out and make a few discoveries of your own.

Another piece by John Dempcy

Comments

Jann Gougeon said…
Darren Waterston is one of my favorite artists. I wish I knew what process and materials he used to get his effects.